Bienvenu Willkommen Bienvenido Bemvindo Benvenuti
The Languages Team
- Mr J Hennigan—Head of Languages
- Mrs L Swayne—Assistant head of Languages
- Mrs N Noad – Teacher of French/Portuguese & Primary Languages Coordinator/ITT Mentor
- Mrs D Pardon-Gallagher — Teacher of French
The Languages Suite
The Languages Suite is an attractive, spacious and well maintained area of school situated on the first floor of the phase two building. The suite comprises 5 specialist languages rooms, a designated ICT area and an office.
The KS3 scheme of work is designed to ensure that all pupils have full access to the National Curriculum in Languages and the opportunity to develop a wide range of linguistic, personal and social skills. The development of the pupils’ international and cultural awareness and understanding is an intrinsic element of the language learning experience and one which we actively seek to promote. The scheme of work, assessments, teaching methodology and resources allow the pupils to progress appropriately in their language learning through the study of carefully selected topic areas. KS3 builds on the language learning that many pupils will have previously experienced through primary language initiatives and provides the building blocks upon which they will build their eventual examination success at KS4.
Languages lessons are highly interactive and stimulating, aiming to develop not only linguistic fluency and literacy skills but also self esteem, confidence and inter-personal skills. Pupils are encouraged to participate as fully as possible in lessons and are challenged to achieve to the very best of their ability. High standards of effort, behaviour and presentation are always expected.
At KS4 the majority of pupils study a foreign language and those who studied 2 languages at KS3 also have the option to continue studying both languages at KS4. This option has proved very popular with most pupils achieving great success in both languages at GCSE. For the less able linguists the FCSE syllabus is available. This option allows pupils to maximise their achievement in languages in a more accessible way.
Pupils are examined in each of the four language skills: reading, writing, listening and speaking. In the EDEXCEL GCSE course writing and speaking are assessed at key points during the course through Controlled Assessment. All pupils are expected to submit 2 written and 2 speaking assessments during their GCSE course. These comprise 60% of the total marks. The listening and reading components account for the remaining 40% of the total marks and are assessed at the end of the course. The syllabus covers the full range of grades from A* to G.
The FCSE course covers grades D-G and assessment in this syllabus is modular. The pupils are assessed at regular intervals in the 4 language skills. At the end of the course the pupils are able to achieve a pass, merit or distinction.
Learning is topic based and in each topic the pupils study the necessary vocabulary, language structures and grammar. Many of the topics build on work studied at KS3. The scheme of work aims to ensure progression in the language as the topics are revisited. The scheme of work continues to reflect the communicative approach to language learning whilst at the same time preparing pupils for the format and demands of external examinations. Through their study of a foreign language pupils are provided with a range of learning opportunities:
- to develop an awareness and an appreciation of other languages and cultures
- to work creatively, independently and in groups
- to develop their communication skills through a range of learning situations
- to use ICT to enhance their language learning
The Languages Department offers an extensive range of enrichment activities to pupils. We have developed very strong links with Cardinal Newman College and the University of Central Lancashire as well as with a large number of local high schools. These links enable us to work collaboratively to share good practice and to develop initiatives and opportunities within languages. We offer after-school courses in Mandarin Chinese, Spanish and Italian. We run regular exchange visits to our partner school, the Gymnasium Satrup, in Schleswig-Flensburg, Germany. All pupils have the opportunity to apply for places on the many foreign trips we organise to France and Germany.
The Importance of Language Learning
In these days of global trade and multi-national business the economic advantages of having language skills are extensive. Many university courses and careers require language qualifications. Some examples are:
- Law, especially International and Business law
- Many areas of business and commerce
- Travel and Tourism
- The Armed Forces
- Teaching (Primary, Secondary & Tertiary)
- Translation and Interpreting
- The Services Industry: hotels, shops, restaurants etc
For further information please contact Mrs Swayne.