‘Growing together in the Spirit of Christ’s love.’
The Learning Support Department endeavours to promote an inclusive environment where each pupil can grow and achieve.
The Department’s own motto reads: ‘To celebrate and admire the butterfly, you first have to nurture the caterpillar.’
Our role, in line with the SEN Code of Practice and the Equality Act 2010, is to provide learning support for all those pupils in school who have been identified as having Special Educational Needs.
The support and intervention we offer is varied and, dependent on a child’s needs, may include:
- Open door policy for parents of pupils with SEN
- Close liaison with parents of pupils with SEN
- Open door policy for SEN pupils in SEN Office – safe zone
- Teaching Assistant support (in-class and in withdrawal sessions)
- Provision Map
- Access arrangements for GCSE examinations
- Access to Room 7 at lunchtime – supervised by teaching assistants
- IDL intervention programme for developing reading and spelling – IDL Website
- Social skills groups
- LEGO therapy
- MOTHS day (Moving on to High School) transition day for Yr 6 pupils with Statements of SEN
- Butterfly Book – staff information document all about our SEN pupils
The Learning Support Team
The Learning Support team is the largest department in school and comprises:
- Mrs J Melling – SENCO – Special Needs Co-ordinator / ASDAN Co-ordinator. The SENCO co-ordinates the support and provision for SEN pupils.
- Mrs L Stewart – Assistant SENCO. The Assistant SENCO supports the SENCO in co-ordinating support and provision for SEN pupils.
- Mrs C Patterson is the SEN representative on the Governing Body.
- Mrs J Day
- Mrs S Griffin
- Mrs S Haydock
- Mrs J Thornton
- Mrs J Tingle
- Mrs K Barker
The varied role of a Teaching Assistant at All Hallows includes:
- Development of positive relationships with pupils which assists their progress and attainment
- Assisting in the development of varying skills that support pupils’ learning
- Support pupils as part of a planned Inclusion Programme
- Under the clear guidance of the class teacher implement and structure learning activities and assist individual / group of pupil(s) to complete tasks
- Liaise with parents through Home/School book where appropriate