Art & Design
Art at All Hallows is taught to all pupils at Key Stage 3 and is an option subject at Key Stage 4.
There are two full time members of staff who deliver the Art Curriculum:-
- Mrs Calland (Head of Art)
- Miss Dent (Teacher of Art)
The Art department has two classrooms, an Art office and a resource area which is suitable for large scale work, sculpture and clay. This area contains 6 computers with Adobe Photoshop and a kiln. The Art office contains many Art books and resources.
Key Stage 3 Curriculum
Pupils in Key Stage 3 follow a varied curriculum which encompasses a wide range of skills and techniques. Pupils have one lesson per week.
Year 7 Topics
- Colour Theory – key elements of Art
- Cultures, body adornment, rituals
- Animals and environment
Year 8 Topics
- Pop Art Food – Observational drawing, clay sculpture, pastel sweet studies
- Buildings – sculpture, mixed media techniques, fine liner, collage
Year 9 Topics
Key Stage 4 Curriculum
Pupils have three lessons per week and follow the AQA Art, Craft and Design course which is a full GCSE. Component 1 accounts for 60% of the final grade and Component 2 (examination) makes up the further 40%.
Three units of work are studied:-
- Sea life – Observational drawing, clay, glass, sculpture, print making and mixed media.
- Creative Human anatomy – painting, sculpture, collage.
- Landscape – Observational drawing, experimentation with media, Adobe Photoshop, photography, painting and Critical Studies form an integral part of the course and appropriate artist’s are studied during each Key Stage.
Extra Curricular Activities
The Art department organises a wide range of extracurricular activities including the following:-
- Glass Workshops
- Art club for all year groups held 4 lunchtimes per week
- GCSE Art club held weekly after school
- Exhibitions of pupils work both in school and at local galleries
- Competition’s within school, locally and nationally.
Trip to Barcelona which runs every three years during May half term. A very popular trip which includes visits to galleries, Nou Camp Stadium, Montserrat, Parc Guell and other attractions
Lytham St Annes
GCSE pupils undertake a one day landscape drawing day using a wide variety of media techniques. They observe seascapes, built environment and the Windmill as part of their studies.
Salts Mill, Saltaire, Shipley
This is a gallery visit to explore the work of World renowned Artist David Hockney.